Saturday 7 September 2013

Happy Saturday

I wrote this poem when I was thinking about my past. I hope you enjoy it.



THE SATURDAY AFTERNOON HORSE OPERA SHOW


When I was six we had a television.
The first one on the block, as I recall.
My friends, on Saturday, would show at my place.
Wearing hats and guns, in the living room we'd sprawl.

We would cheer for the guy, who wore the white hat,
'cause the guy who wore the black hat, he was bad.
We'd shoot our guns and get the charging injuns.
These were the best times a young boy ever had.

Now days you can't find a cap six-shooter.
They say that all that violence makes you cruel.
So they show us beatings on the television,
And they're teaching Kung Fu in the local school.

These days’ kids have got the Power Rangers
They're watching murders on the prime time news.
They're searching kids at school to take their Uzi’s
I just wonder how we changed our basic views

Oh where are Tom Mix, Black Bart and the others,
The guys we knew so well so long ago.
My heroes, like Gene Autrey and Roy Rogers,
On the Saturday Afternoon Horse Opera show.

No comments:

Post a Comment